Tuesday, March 27, 2007

put down that cookie!

It was Grandma's 80th birthday last week so over the weekend we had a big surprise party for her. She felt so proud and special to have all of her family and long-time friends travel to see her and wish her well. It's always fun to get all the old-timers together and listen to their stories. They're a lively bunch, and all day long we just laugh and laugh at the hijinks of days gone by.

Anyway, here's the point of this post: one of the things that was brought to the party was a basketful of out-of-this-world (or so I heard) chocolate chip cookies. Everyone was raving. And most everyone took a bunch home with them.

The next morning Aunt was teasing Uncle for eating five whole cookies the night before in their hotel room. Hahaha, that's so funny, he's a piggy -- right?

Really, though, I wouldn't have thought anything about it at all if she hadn't commented on it as if it were unusual. I thought his consumption was pretty reasonable. I mean 5 smallish cookies isn't so bad, is it? If it had been me and I were craving them like he was, it might have been the whole stash that disappeared, not just five. It's times like this that I realize that I do have a disturbed relationship with food, and I need to be cognizant of the kinds of situations that bring out the worst of it.

Why can some people naturally listen to their bodies and some people can't (or just don't)? Is it the way we were raised?

1 comment:

i i eee said...

When I signed up for SparkPeople.com, there was this little quiz you could take to find out what kind of "eater" you were. Which I find somewhat interesting. I didn't rank as an emotional eater, but I know I do eat sometimes along with emotions -but I think a lot of our actions tend to be emotion based. Anyway. I probably would have eaten more than 5 myself.