Sunday, March 18, 2007

who's your patty?

Yesterday, being St. Patrick's Day, evokes images of beer and junk food and drunkenness and general revelry. I, being on a "lifestyle change," did only one of those things. I participated in the revelry but passed on the others. And that is a Good Thing.

I had fun, I'll need to remind myself at future occasions where imbibing is the norm. I can enjoy myself at parties and assorted celebrations without drink. I can sing along with a Beatles cover band so bad their vocals physically hurt my ears and actually enjoy it. That is, until I don't. Until I realize I'm not intoxicated and their ear-piercing sound has become punishment, and I can't bear it one second longer and must leave now.

So maybe not drinking won't be an all-time thing for me while I'm losing weight, but I think any choices I make not to partake can only help me get to the place I'm heading a tad more quickly. Let's face it, drunk people are no fun (and can be really quite boring, actually) when you're not one of them. In spite of that, yesterday was a Good Day. I did actually have fun (even if that fun had an expiration), and I don't feel like I missed out or deprived myself or anything.

BTW: If you were wondering what yesterday's hooky post had to do with losing weight, well, I guess it had nothing to do with it. Except: I did have a wonderful day, and I didn't need to have any foods I wished I hadn't to do it. It was all healthy and sensible. I didn't even have the cold beer that would have gone fabulously with the waterside eating. That would have been nice and apropos, but just like Patty's-party-drinking, totally not necessary.

No comments: