Sunday, April 8, 2007

out of breath

One of the consequences of being overweight and out of shape is that embarrassing things happen. No, I'm not talking about farts sneaking out when I bend over or not being able to squeeze into a seat -- those things haven't happened to me yet, at least not when I haven't just eaten a big bowl of beans <wink>; thank Heaven I decided to stop gaining when I did. The things I'm talking about are embarrassing simply because they hurt my pride.

So I was glad the other evening when I climbed the three flights of stairs to a friend's apartment and arrived breathing normally. I know the last time I did it I was huffing and puffing at the top because I remember trying to hide it with deliberate deep and quiet breaths forced in and out through my nose so she wouldn't be thinking fat girl things about me. Which is silly, really, because I am fat. Real fat is not something a person can hide, like they can a few extra pounds with a well-cut pant.

Anyway. I haven't lost much more than a handful of pounds, and my exercise exploits haven't been particularly rigorous. But! It seems to be working. And that's a load off my mind.

2 comments:

Living to Feel Good said...

Glad to see you are seeing the changes. :)

digitalGoobie said...

That same thing was happening to me when I would go from the first floor to the fourth (where I live) in my building. It was nice that I could catch my breath after a few deep ones.. but it took effort. I don't find it as bad anymore..

Good for you for getting over that one thing, everything counts, and all you can do is one day at a time. Ya know?