Wednesday, April 18, 2007

a whole new light

The other day one of my friends was at my house, and she casually mentioned that she had once weighed 250 pounds. I did not know this about her. She's my height and wears an 8 or 6 now.

I have another friend who is as thin as a rail. She's the singer in a band and looks pretty darn good on stage. She used to be fat too. Look at her old photos if you don't believe me.

These are two people who I met after they were thin. When each one revealed the fact of her former self, I was kind of taken aback. My first thought was no, not this person. It's like I almost couldn't wrap my mind around it. Then I started seeing each of them in a whole new light. They both won this fight I'm fighting, and that's pretty amazing. To lose many many pounds and keep them off year after year is no small feat.

But also: I get a feeling of relief from hearing this information. I can take a big sigh and let go of all those uncomfortable feelings I have about myself, if only for a moment. Because this person has been there. She can understand and relate to what I'm going through, and, honestly, that's kind of comforting.

It's also very inspiring. Here are two people in my own world who have been successful with this. Maybe that means there's hope for me too.

4 comments:

i i eee said...

There's hope indeed.

Living to Feel Good said...

I agree with metamorphose. I was going to use those exact words!

Krissie said...

isn't it good to know that someone will look at you someday and not believe who you used to be!
Keep going! You'll get there!!

thrilled said...

Krissie: That's the exact thought I had as I was writing this. I can't wait to become that new person!