Wednesday, April 4, 2007

two updates: one where i eat my words and the other where i am healed


I eat my words.

In these posts, I whined at length about my hairdressers (yes, that's a plural -- one for cut, one for color). And in the end, I swore off my colorist, ColorWonder.

But, Oh! how I regret that. I was too harsh. Or maybe my new 'do is just so awful that I'm willing to accept ColorWonder, with his lying ways and drugs and all. After all, we don't have to be BFF. I just need him to do my hair.

I went to New Guy. New Guy said wonderful things about the glory that I was to become. New Guy said he would cut six inches off my hair (fine by me since it was way too long already), and he promptly cut off about ten. And those extra four inches are the difference between shoulder- and chin-length.

Now, I don't mind chin-length hair on principle. But, given my current condition (that in which my chin has taken on a mate. Shall we call him "Double"?), a chin-length 'do is just not flattering. Double is shy, and this new nakedness makes him feel so exposed.

But what's worse is that the chin-length tresses were not shaped with any consideration of current fashion. I am now the not-so-proud owner of a bob. Without any texture or layers cut into it, it falls flat on the top and widens at the end where all the pieces come together in one blunt end. It's a triangle-do, if I'm not careful with styling. I know I'd think it's great if I had a toddler at my knee and a baby on my hip, but I don't have either of those things. And I don't think it's great. Because I live in the city, y'all, and I'm required to maintain at least a smidgen of style-a-la-mode (How's that for attempting to use a language I know nothing about?).

And also? Also, New Guy said he would take me from brunette to blonde with highlights that look natural. New Guy gave me highlights that are anything but. They are streaky and amateurish-looking. I've got stripes. Ask BoyGenius if you don't believe me. He understands these things -- the subtle or not-so-subtle differences between a good hair style and a great one -- and he also rates this guy as artless.

If the above testimony doesn't suffice, here's the true test. . . I visited family (suburbia and country dwellers all) right after this was done to me and I got COMPLIMENTS. A lot of them. And, like I said, I would probably like this hairdo if I lived their lifestyle and ran in the same circles. But back here at home, where I must live and work and play, I have gotten ZERO remarks from friends or anyone else. And it certainly couldn't be that nobody's noticed. I mean, TEN INCHES! And brunette to BLONDE! The only conclusion I can come to is that it is very bad indeed, and it would hurt everyone's hearts too much to mention it.

But do you know what the worst part of all this is? One hundred eighty dollars! I'm still dumbfounded that I just swallowed my shock and whipped out that credit card. Why didn't I object? $180 for this? This is not good, and you, New Guy, are an amateur. How dare you charge so much? Do you think you are better than Scissorhands? Better than ColorWonder?

And I'm sorry I didn't get all bitter and wretched and complain about the cut while I was there and insist on a lower price too -- at the time I thought it might grow on me. At least I did tell him outright that I was not loving or even liking his color job since I am 32 now and know that I don't have to pretend I like it. I'm sure that $180 (plus tip, mind you. Apparently I still have things to learn.) will heal any hurt feelings he acquired over my disapproval.

So, Scissorhands, I'm very sorry for cheating on you. Thank you for calling me with your new contact information. I love you and your boring, bitter rants. I will see you ASAP, but first I must earn some money because New Guy took me for everything I had.

And, ColorWonder, I'm not moving on. I take it back. I am eating my words as I write this. I don't care that New Guy (unbidden) confirmed my suspicions that you had fallen off the wagon and had been showing up late. I'll see you soon at one and a half hours past my next appointment time. XO


I am healed.
Last week I wrote about some freak-show-worthy swelling. I'd never experienced anything like it. And I am happy to report that it is gone! All gone. Thank Heaven and the exercise I've been trying to do more of. At least I'll pretend that that's what had an effect (the exercise, not Heaven).

7 comments:

i i eee said...

Glad the swelling's gone.

So sad about your hair, though. It hurts my feelings. I hope it's fixable.

Yeah, that's why I stay with cokey Jake. He may end up putting all my cash up his nose, but he does a pretty fine job with my hair -and really, that's all that matters.

Frozen Okie said...

I'm so, so, so sorry I was an advocate for a newguy.

Who recommended said newguy? You should inform them you are no longer friends.

thrilled said...

Hahaa. Thanks for the commiseration. I needed that since a life with bad hair is a lonely one (especially when mike makes you terminate friendships over horrible recommendations!). Heh.

i i eee said...

I also feel bad, cuz I was rooting for NewGuy. I think I was just banking on the thought of having to go to two different people to cut and then color -I think that would kinda suck. But much more worth it if they do a good job.

Frozen Okie said...

I'd be willing to go to different people for color and cut if it just meant I had hair to cut or color.

Living to Feel Good said...

Oh what a bummer! I remember your post before about it, and I believe I was rooting for new guy too. Argh how fustrating. I've done the same thing and paid for hair I didn't want. Two years ago for my birthday I wanted my black hair gone. My husband paid for me to go see someone, and for 6 hours ( I kid you not!!) she kept putting stuff in my hair and couldn't get the black out. I seriously thought how hard can it be? I went home with black hair and $300 dollars less. I felt bad because it was the day before Easter, and I took up all her time, so her other appointments got canceled and moved, so I paid her 60 bucks tip. 2 weeks later I bleached my hair myself, and what do you know, the black was gone. My hair wasn't even that dead either. I haven't gone to a hair dresser since. ALTHOUGH I've been talking about getting a new style, and so for my birthday 2 weeks ago 3 of my co workers gave me a gift certificate to a salon near my work. I've been talking to this one hair dresser for the past three weeks who has been shopping in the store, and she will be doing my new hair in about 2-3 weeks. I'm excited, but I hope the money is worth it. What I mean is I hope I like it because ofcourse then it will be worth it. Argh I feel your pain.

thrilled said...

Thanks, y'all, for indulging my narcissism. Some of your comments make me laugh! I cetainly would love to have fabulous hair, but I promise I'm not devastated over it -- I hardly think about it at all.

But those times that I do think about it? Man, I can write some pretty long posts. Blame it on my mother and imprinting. She's definitely a hair-obsessed gal -- big Texas hair, if you know what I mean.